- 40 Key Computer Science Concepts Explained in Layman's Terms
- Programming Sucks
- Joel on Software
- What Color is Your Function? — Synchronous vs. asynchronous functions in languages and what a pain they are.
- Talks that changed the way I think about programming
- Better Bash Scripting in 15 Minutes
- Use the Unofficial Bash Strict Mode (Unless You Looove Debugging)
- The 30 CSS Selectors you Must Memorize
- The CSS that you don't know about — More CSS selectors
flex-growis weird. Or is it?
- Post-mortems and Tales
- Super Merryo Trolls — or An Adventure From The Days Before VRAM
- The SCUMM Diary: Stories behind one of the greatest game engines ever made
- Why I've Said Goodbye to Mobile in Favor of PC
- A Trip Down the Graphics Pipeline
- Your greatest bug ever? — A discussion on Reddit full of good stories.
- Designing a "playable" UI that secretly teaches you how to play
- The Evolution of RollerCoaster Tycoon
- Breakdowns & Reverse Engineering
- An Analysis of Super Metroid's Camera Code, and using it for a 360-degree aiming 2D platform shooter
- Spoofing Pokémon trades with the Stellaris LaunchPad — A hardware hack for the original GameBoy games.
- How Zelda Gets Lock And Key Puzzles Right
- Writing a GameBoy Advance Game
- Making a GameBoy Game in 2017
- Multiplayer & Networking
- Fast-Paced Multiplayer — Client-Server Game Architecture
- Game Server Protocols
- 64 Network DO's and DON'Ts for Game Engine Developers
- So you want to be a pixel artist? — 11-part series on Pixel Art
- Game Programming Patterns — Free e-book
- The A-ha! Moment of being a game development beginner
- The guide to implementing 2D platformers
- HD Index Painting in Photoshop — Pixel art
- 2D Game Art for Programmers — Guides on vector art using Inkscape, GIMP & co.
- Developer's Music Making Guide
- Tips for Building Mobile Games in HTML5
- 256-Color VGA Programming in DOS — tutorial and guide for building DOS programs and their low-level direct memory access to VGA graphics.
- Git Flight Rules — A guide for what to do when things go wrong. "Flight Rules are the hard-earned body of knowledge recorded in manuals that list, step-by-step, what to do if X occurs, and why. Essentially, they are extremely detailed, scenario-specific standard operating procedures. [...]"
- Most common git screwups/questions and solutions
- Learning Go (golang)
- Practical Golang: Using Protobuffs
- Go Best Practices, Six Years In (2016)
- Common Comments in Go Code Reviews
- Go channels are bad and you should feel bad
- godoc: Tips & Tricks
- Project Organization
- Deploying ES2015+ Code in Production Today — Using
<script nomodule>to ship native ES6 code to the browser, with pre-browserified fallback for legacy users.
I don't hide my critism of the PHP language.
- PHP: a fractal of bad design — A thorough breakdown (from 2012) of all of PHP's problems.
- PHP in contrast to Perl — Enumerates so many of PHP's problems (in the set of built-in functions in the language, their naming conventions, arguments and return values are wildly inconsistent)
- html - RegEx match open tags except XHTML self-contained tags — TO͇̹̺ͅƝ̴ȳ̳ TH̘Ë͖́̉ ͠P̯͍̭O̚N̐Y̡ H̸̡̪̯ͨ͊̽̅̾̎Ȩ̬̩̾͛ͪ̈́̀́͘ ̶̧̨̱̹̭̯ͧ̾ͬC̷̙̲̝͖ͭ̏ͥͮ͟Oͮ͏̮̪̝͍M̲̖͊̒ͪͩͬ̚̚͜Ȇ̴̟̟͙̞ͩ͌͝S̨̥̫͎̭ͯ̿̔̀ͅ
- Elements of Python Style
- Anti-Patterns in Python Programming
- A simple interpreter from scratch on Python
- How can I make a chain of function decorators in Python?
- Cheat Sheet: Writing Python 2-3 compatible code
- Don't use Hadoop - your data isn't that big
- Why You Should Never Use MongoDB
- OAuth 2.0 and the Road to Hell — How OAuth2 was "killed by committee" and became the fustercluck that it is.
- How Google Authenticator Works — Time-Based One-Time Password (TOTP) Algorithm
- Vim after 11 years (2013)
- The Rise and Fall of AIM, the Breakthrough AOL Never Wanted
- about:jwz and about:mozilla
- Here's What Happens When You Install the Top 10 Download.com Apps — Spam is what you get. See also my related blog entry
- H.264 is Magic
Google Ban Hammer
If you violate terms in any of Google's monetary services, your account can be globally banned from all Google services that come anywhere near money. Get accused of click fraud in AdSense, and you can no longer buy apps on Google Play or buy credit in Google Voice.
- Google Play - Only one strike is needed to ruin you (Android)
- As an Android developer AND user having your developer account terminated is devastating
- From /r/AndroidDev, 'This is how Google kills our apps' — Competitors may falsely flag your app, getting it immediately pulled from the store and your account flagged.
- A story from the comment thread about how Google can associate new Google accounts with the terminated one (similarity in name, address, payment details, anything) — and ban that account, too. It's a ban on you, the developer, not your account!
- Implementing a Partial Serial Number Verification System in Delphi
- What are the best practices for building something like a News Feed? — Concerns and problems with implementing a Twitter-style News Feed.
- What should every programmer know about web development?
- The unexpected costs of third-party login — The problems one may encounter when implementing a "Login with Facebook" on their site. Many users prefer to just sign up custom accounts instead.
- We Suck at HTTP — Unlike web pages, mobile apps do not have links. They do not have web addresses. They live in worlds by themselves, largely cut off from one another and the broader Internet. And so it is much harder to share the information found on them.